Sunday, June 27, 2010

Preview of Extra fic offered to Team Aspenleaf




THE ADVENTURES OF A FULLER BRUSH MAN

“Take cover, boys! Another raid is coming through!”


I dropped to the ground, pushing my body as close to the earth as possible. The smell of sulfur permeated the air as the bombs dropped, hitting their intended targets.

I clutched my helmet harder.


I lifted my head only a fraction, enough to see the plumes of smoke moving closer and closer.


My whole unit was completely exposed and we wouldn’t have a chance to get to safety before we were hit.


The deafening explosion was so close I could feel the earth rumble as they hit.


“Move! Move! Move!” the unit leader bellowed as it became clear they were moving closer.


I picked up my weapon and ran, I was desperately trying to reach the edge of the field where I knew a small water ditch lay.


The screams and cries for help sounded in my ears, I knew I should keep running to safety but I couldn’t ignore my brothers.


Turning around I realized why they had been screaming, one by one they were engulfed in smoke as the bombs dropped overhead.


A few ran past, grabbing onto me pulling me with them.


We almost made it.


When the searing pain hit my legs I looked to my right, the soldier whose name I couldn’t remember had taken the worst of it.


His body lay in pieces.


I fell and waited for the next bomb to finish me off, knowing anything to stop the burning pain would be a godsend.


The soft grass was welcome; at least I hadn’t landed in something disgusting or uncomfortable.


I always wondered what my last moments on this earth would be, I was surprised by how peaceful I felt as I drifted into unconsciousness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment