Sunday, March 21, 2010

Discovery

"Mr. Masen..."

Her voice was no more than a whisper, and I could scarcely wrap my head around what I was seeing. Was this another drink induced hallucination?

Isabella? My Isabella was here... at Pemberley. Right in front of me.

I focused on the woman before me. She looked like Isabella, her familiar soft hair blew gently in the breeze. Even her dress was one I recognized; it was the yellow one I was so fond of, which she wore during one of our earlier meetings. But this would not be the first time I had dreamt of her here, only to awaken alone and bereft.

She was breathing heavily; her expression was a mixture of embarrassment and shock.

Strange, the Isabella from my dreams was always confident and playful. Say something, man! You look like a damn fool!

"Isa... Miss Isabella. I..."

"Sir? We were told you were not to... return until tomorrow. If we had known we would never have dreamt of invading your privacy."

Isabella's gaze descended, her stare fixed on my inappropriate appearance. My breathing increased as her long fixed stare left a trail of fire as she slowly took in my body. Finally reaching my face, her cheeks burned as she realized she had been openly staring. Not that I minded in the least, of course.

Turning her head slightly, subtly looking in the direction of the entrance; her body language spoke volumes, she was ready to run.

I needed to calm her, I couldn't afford to waste this opportunity. "I returned a day early, it seems urgent business called me home ahead of the rest of the party." My voice shook only slightly, for which I was grateful.

She looked positively mortified. "The rest if your party?" she questioned.

"Yes, I believe you know them, Mr. McCarty and his sisters," I explained.

I took a step forward, my hand reaching out to her.

Her eyes widened and she took a slight step back. "I'm very sorry Mr. Masen, please excuse me." She turned and ran toward the entrance to the outer garden.

I stood there, dumbfounded. What had just happened? I turned to look in the direction she was running, but it was apparent she had no idea where she was going. What was painfully obvious was that she was trying to get as far from me as she could. This was not going as well as I had hoped.

But what did I really have any right to hope for? Love was impossible, perhaps friendship? I grasped my chest where my heart constricted painfully. No, I wanted so much more, but knew it was foolish to desire something I could never have.

I needed to find her, before she became lost in the garden maze. I turned and walked in the direction she had gone, being a tall man my stride was longer than most enabling me to catch up to her quickly. I saw Isabella, just as she pasted the archway to the outer gardens. I quickened my pace, needing to catch her before she reached the first fork in the maze.

My hand took hold of her arm and she stopped, but did not turn. I allowed her a moment to catch her breath, and mine as well. Releasing her from my grasp, I waited for her to turn around.

She turned slowly, her head bent toward the ground. When she finally faced me the expression she wore was not what I was expecting. I was prepared for an angry rebuke for the liberties I had just taken, I steeled myself for her assault, but what I saw took the breath from my body.

Isabella looked utterly terrified.

"Mr. Masen... I had no idea, please believe me. If we had known I assure you we never would have come," she pleaded for me to understand.

She never would have come? Did she think I would throw her from my house? I wanted nothing more than to keep her here with me forever.

But did she know this?

I smiled in the hopes of reassuring her I was indeed happy to see her. "How long have you been in the area, Miss Isabella?"

Her eyebrows furrowed, obviously not expecting that, "About two days sir, I am traveling with my Aunt and Uncle," she trailed off.

That must be the other visitors. Did she not want me to meet them? Though I could scarcely blame her, after the way I treated her and the rest of her family.

"And has your trip been enjoyable thus far?" This seemed like a neutral topic.

"Very much sir. Tomorrow we go to Matlock." She looked away again in embarrassment.

Tomorrow? No... I needed more time.

"And where are you staying?" Oh Lord, should I have asked that?

The corner of her lip moved up slightly, "At the Inn at Lambton."

"Oh yes, of course." Idiot there was only one Inn in Lambton.

Why did I find talking to Isabella so difficult? I sounded like an uneducated imbecile. No wonder she had run earlier.

The sun peaked out from behind the clouds and bathed us in sunlight. I looked into her eyes, hoping to convey to her all I felt but was unable to express in words. The warm light brought out the warm tones in her hair; I was mesmerized by how truly beautiful Isabella was. This was not the first time I had admired her beauty, but somehow every part of her came together to form the perfect woman who transcended all others in my eyes.

She was looking at me with a more alarming look of shock, and I wondered if I had over stepped my bounds.

Then I realized I was still in just a shirt and trousers, which were still very much wet. Not to mention the reaction to my thoughts was showing rather prominently.

"Feel free to tour the rest of the grounds, please excuse me." I hurried away before she noticed.

I all but ran, through the back door and into the main hall, making Mrs. Cope jump at my sudden appearance.

"Mr. Masen! I did not expect you until tomorrow," she responded, obviously caught off guard.

I had no time for explanations. "How long until hot water can be brought up?"

"It would take a quarter hour for hot water, five for warm." She answered but looked puzzled by my request.

"Warm then please, I need to make myself presentable to receive the visitors."

Confused she replied, "I have already dealt with the visitors sir, you need not trouble yourself on their account."

I rounded on her, "What do you mean you dealt with them?" My voice was tight.

She looked taken aback, "I showed them the public rooms, just like I would any visitor that comes to the house." She stopped, and then apologized. "I am sorry sir if I offended you," she finished quietly.

I let out a deep breath. "Mrs. Cope, I trust you implicitly with the welfare of Pemberley, I suppose I am tired and overreacted. Please forgive me."

She shook her head, "Oh, darling boy, I could never be angry with you; the young lady did claim a slight acquaintance." My heart soared, she had acknowledged knowing me. This was a very good sign.

"Yes, that is true. Thank you, Mrs. Cope. I need to make haste before they leave."

I ran up the stairs taking them two at a time. Forgoing any ceremony, I quickly disregarded my wet garments just in time for warm water to be brought in. I washed quickly, and donned clean dry clothes. Having little experience in dressing myself, the process was awkward and took longer than I would have liked. Ten minutes later I was running down the stairs again toward the gardens. I begun looking in the direction she had been, but they had since moved on. I ran toward their carriage, to find Isabella walking as fast as her legs could go in a lady-like manner. The couple trailing behind her failing to match her determined speed. Desperate in my need to head her off, I caught up with her quickly.

"Miss Isabella, please forgive me for not receiving you properly just now, you are not leaving?"

"We were sir, I believe that is best." Shame colored her cheeks as she tried to control the mortification she was feeling.

I understood why she felt the way she did, but I didn't care. I was desperate to know what she thought of Pemberley.

"Would you do me the honor of introducing me to your friends?"

She raised her eyebrow questioning me, then turning in the direction of the couple, she smiled. "Mr. Masen, may I introduce my Aunt and Uncle from Cheapside, Mr. and Mrs. Cullen."

Ah, I now understood her gesture. These were the people I had used in my derision of her family. But they were not anything like her relatives from Meryton. This couple could easily move in my circle.

I walked over and took the gentleman's outstretched hand. "It is a pleasure to welcome you to Pemberley."

"Why thank you, Sir. My wife wanted to see your house having grown up not far from here and having heard so much about it."

"Oh?" I directed my question to Mrs. Cullen. She smiled warmly, "I grew up in Lambton, Sir."

I smiled. "Delightful village, I used to run back and forth during the harvest season. I remember there was one particular shop which sold to best tarts I had ever eaten."

"I know that shop, it was right next to the smithy," she responded with excitement.

I smiled at the memories. "Yes, the very one."

I turned my attention back to Mr. Cullen. "Do you care for fishing sir?"

He smiled, "Indeed I do sir, though I rarely get the opportunity in London."

I laughed in agreement, "Yes, London for all its various activities lacks what I consider to be vital." I looked at Isabella. "Fresh air and beautiful... walks."

I watched her face expecting her to be embarrassed, instead the corner of her lip and eyebrow rose ever so slightly.

She was either amused or challenging me.

I was too unsure of myself at this point to test my theory, I chose a safer route instead.

"You are welcome to fish in my trout stream, or the lake is generously stocked if you prefer. I would be happy to provide the rods and tackle."

"Thank you sir, I would be delighted." He was trying hard to contain his excitement, I was relieved.

"Let us walk down now."

I motioned for them to follow and began to walk in the direction of the lake. Mr. Cullen walked with me while Isabella and her aunt followed further back. I needed to speak with her, I knew the likelihood we would be alone again was slim, but what I needed to tell her was best done in private.

The lake was not far from where we were. I wished it had been further, I wanted to prolong their visit as long as possible. I pointed out the various choice spots for fishing, Mr. Cullen was a genuine man who was both intelligent and proper. I cringed, as I thought of how unfair I had been to Isabella's family.

"Uncle, Aunt is very tired and needs your assistance." We both turned and Mr. Cullen immediately excused himself to go to his wife's side.

Isabella walked toward me.

"Thank you, sir." She smiled sincerely. "I don't think you realize just how happy you have made him." She sighed heavily, "He has been so gracious on this trip to entertain two ladies with no thought of his own amusement." She paused, "Thank you, Mr. Masen." The gratitude in her eyes rendered me speechless. Such a little thing, yet she was as happy and sincere as if I had offered her a priceless treasure.

Extraordinary was the only way I could describe her.

"Would you permit me... what I mean is, would you allow me to introduce my sister to you during your stay at Lambton?"

"Of course, I would love to make Miss Masen's acquaintance." She seemed troubled. "I do not want to interfere with your plans nor intrude. You have no doubt made commitments with your other guests."

Other guests? Ah, yes, The Harpy.

"I assure you, my sister will be delighted. My purpose in this visit was to bring Alice home, all other commitments mean nothing."

She seemed placated, "Very well, Mr. Masen."

Conversation seemed to ebb and though I was loathed to let her go, I knew it was time. Her Aunt seemed particularly fatigued, so we began walking in the direction of the house. Isabella and I found ourselves at the house well ahead of her Aunt and Uncle. We stood in awkward silence, unsure what to say. I finally decided neutral topics would be best. I asked her about her trip thus far and how she liked it. Her expressions became animated, as she described the various sites they had been to. I was unsurprised by most, they were considered important stops when visiting this region; however, it was her favorite that made my heart pound uncontrollably.

"We came to a point on the side of the rode on our journey here, it was a cliff overlooking a vast valley. Although my Aunt and Uncle were not pleased with me standing so near the edge, I couldn't help it. The sheer allurement of the landscape coupled with the wild untamed beauty of the peaks bade me stay."

She paused for a moment closing her eyes, and breathed in slowly. "I never imagined such a place existed."

I fought with every ounce of strength I possessed not to reach out and pull her into my embrace. I ached to touch her.

"I stood on the edge and couldn't grasp everything I saw. The wind was whipping through my hair and dress, the feeling was both peaceful and exhilarating. I can't explain it, but there was something that drew me to that spot. It was as if I had been there before… in a dream."

I tried to gain control over my emotions, before I choked out a question that made me seem like an irrational love sick fool.

"Where was this exactly?" I had a very good idea, but needed her to confirm it for me.

"On the rode to Pemberley, I would guess not more than a few miles."

She had found her way to one of my favorite escapes, the only other would be my meadow. Could I take her there? The only other who had seen it was Alice. "I am very thrilled you found it so extraordinary, you see it is a special place to me as well. I visit it often when I need a respite from the turmoil in my life. I hope it was able to do the same for you."

Her eyes softened, as if she understood. "Yes, I dare say it did."

I took a small step forward and hesitantly brought my hand out, she responded by lifting her hand to meet mine. I lifted it carefully to my lips and placed a kiss on her gloved hand. Though my lips lingered it was over quickly and I returned her hand.

"I am elated, madam."

I looked into her eyes, frustrated by my need to do things right this time. While my mind said it would be wise to go slowly, my heart screamed for me to gather her into my arms. I wanted to show her just how passionately I needed her. I wanted to drop down on my knees and beg her to give me another chance to prove my love for her.

"Well, you young people certainly left us old ones behind."

Isabella looked away and stepped back, putting more space between us. I had not realized just how close we were.

"I am sorry Uncle, are you alright Aunt?"

She dismissed her with a wave. "I will be. All I need is some rest."

"Can I interest you in some refreshments? You are welcome to come inside until you are properly rested." I asked hopeful she could stay longer.

But my hopes were dashed quickly.

"We couldn't possibly trespass on your time any longer, thank you for your kind invitation to my Uncle."

I looked at her with a confused expression. Had I only imagined the reaction we both had only a moment ago?

"Mr. Masen, my aunt is very tired and I believe requires a place to lie down, but thank you for your kind invitation."

She did feel it! My smile was immense, as were my hopes for the first time since Kent. I would do whatever was necessary to show her I was a different man.

"I dare say we have had our fill of sights and beautiful landscapes to satisfy even the most avid enthusiast. I can say with certainty my wife is correct in saying this is the best of all counties, and it seems that Isabella agrees as well. How did you put it my dear? Oh yes…what are men compared to rocks and mountains," he chuckled.

"Uncle!" Isabella was mortified beyond words. But I found it endearing that she loved Derbyshire so much.

Mr. Cullen was helping his wife into the carriage, and Isabella stood in silence, her hands I noticed were clasped together nervously. When her aunt was situated I took the liberty of handing her into the carriage, letting my hand linger as long as I could.

"Mr. and Mrs. Cullen, Miss Isabella, it has been a pleasure. You are welcome anytime to Pemberley."

"Thank you Mr. Masen, you have been most generous." Mr. Cullen replied warmly, and then motioned to the driver. "Drive on."

The carriage jerked forward and began moving away. Isabella was facing away from me, but I watched regardless as the carriage drove away. As they neared the first turn she looked back at me. I saw several emotions on her face, but one in particular almost brought me to my knees

Longing.

I would hold on to that, it would see me through until I was surer of my standing. Because, Lord knows, Isabella Swan had bewitched me. Body and soul.

~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~

Business with my steward was concluded quickly. There had been a dispute between tenants that could only be resolved with my approval, as it involved the moving of land boundaries. I was grateful it was not a more time consuming matter since my mind was decidedly elsewhere.

Was it fate that led Isabella and I to meet? The odds were not favorable that we would ever meet again in the future unless I sought her out.

Fate or coincidence? I didn't care, I would take it.

I walked to my chambers eager to be in my bed once more. I laid there for hours contemplating our meeting, every glance, every word. Finally, sleep came and I was sure of one thing, Isabella was worth every sacrifice, and I would do whatever it took to make myself worthy of her.

I woke early as the summer sun peaked through the heavy curtains. During my fitful sleep I had come up with several options which could allow myself more time with Isabella. Alice, however, was the key and although I was sure she would have no trouble helping me, I had the problem of The Harpy to deal with.

I have never regretted anything more than extending her an invitation to my home.

I breakfasted and went over the living arrangements with Mrs. Cope. The guest rooms were located in the opposite wing from the family quarters. I usually never bothered with arranging where the guests were to sleep, but this time was another matter. I wanted her as far away from me as possible. I also felt it would be necessary to inform my staff of what they could expect. Mrs. Cope shook her head and chuckled. "So lets see if I understand everything, you have invited your friend Mr. McCarty and his sisters both of which you cannot stand. One of which has fanciful notions she will be mistress of this place?" She clucked her tongue, "You realize you have only given her more reason to expect something now. I'm afraid you may have made things worse."

I groaned and covered my face, "I am aware of that, but I needed to help my friend."

She studied my face and then shook her head, "Always did give more of yourself than was necessary. You're generous to a fault sometimes." She looked away, "Your parents would be very proud of the man you've become, Master Edward."

She stood and left me alone with my thoughts. Not long ago I would have smiled and been very proud of such praise but now, I was able to see all the mistakes in my character. I was sure my parents would be both proud and extremely disappointed.

I looked at the clock, Alice would be arriving soon baring any more unforeseen problems. I wondered how soon I could arrange a visit to Lambton without seeming too eager. Would Isabella be offended if we came this morning?

I felt a sudden rush of excitement at the possibility of seeing her so soon. I only hoped Alice would be up for the outing. I knew she would be excited to meet Isabella regardless, and would do anything to make me happy. But was I asking too much of her?

I got up and wandered into the music room, there underneath a white sheet lay her birthday gift. I carefully lifted the sheet and peered at the instrument underneath. I had commissioned it especially for her, the intricate rose inlay represented her favorite flower, and the dark mahogany finish was better than I could have imagined. Before having it shipped to Pemberley, I listened as the craftsman tuned and played the piano. The sound was perfect, exquisitely deep and rich. Imagining her delight as her fingers danced up and down the keys brought a tear to my eye. She deserved so much, and I would give her anything.

I realized that I felt much the same for Isabella. I was willing to give her not only all my earthly possessions but my heart as well. I would do anything for her.

I heard the unmistakable sound of an approaching carriage.

They were here. I rushed out of the music room and toward the main doors. The excitement of introducing Alice to Isabella overruled all thought of propriety. The servants had gathered out front to greet and help situate the guests. I walked outside as the carriage stopped, in my excitement opened the door, helping my sister down.

I embraced her. "Welcome home, Alice,"

We broke apart, and she eyed me curiously. "Edward, what has gotten into you? You are positively beaming." And in a low voice, "If you tell me it's because of that, that woman, I will disown you," she threatened.

I laughed and picked her up swinging her in a circle, "No my dear, but I have two very special surprises for you. But first, I would like you to go and change then come find me, quickly."

She smiled playfully and rushed inside.

I turned to see Emmett staring at me dumbfounded. "Edward, are you feeling well? You seem… happy?" I barked out a laugh at his statement, "True my friend, it is good to be home, that is all." He laughed as well, it was nice to see him smile again.

"Well, if that's the case I need to find myself a home immediately!" his smile fell flat as, no doubt, he was remembering that while he did have a home, he no longer felt welcome there.

All because of my foolish interference.

I grasped his shoulder, "Come Emmett, let's go inside and you can tell me of the journey."

We laughed and joked, as he told me his sisters had left a full hour behind them. The delay he was told was due to Mrs. Crowley feeling unwell, but Emmett was inclined to believe it was all Tanya wanting to make a grand entrance to Pemberley. This day was getting better and better.

Imagining The Harpy pulling into Pemberley only to find no one to greet her would no doubt be a spectacle.

"Edward," Alice appeared, and I turned to Emmett, "Thank you for escorting her Emmett, now of you will excuse us, I need to show my sister her surprises."

He gave a small laugh, "It was my pleasure, I will just go upstairs and wash away the dirt from the road."

I turned back to Alice and took her arm directing her toward the music room. "So my dear, are you ready for your surprise?"

"Edward, what have you done?" she protested.

"Now, now, none of that," I walked her toward the covered instrument. "It's not everyday a young lady turns eighteen."

I grabbed the cover and pulled it from the Piano. She gasped, "Oh Edward, it's beautiful!" She stepped toward it and placed her hands on the wood, noticing the inlay she ran her fingers gently across the carving. She turned back towards me, tears in her eyes.

"I don't deserve this Edward, I don't deserve you." She ran into my waiting arms and I held her tightly. "Shh, my dear. You deserve so much more."

She pulled back and dried her eyes, "So what is my other surprise?"

I laughed, "Bored with the first already?" I teased. "How would you like to meet Miss Isabella?"

"Truly?" Her eyes lit with excitement. "I would love to brother, when? Is she close by?"

I chuckled at her enthusiasm. "Yes, she is touring the lakes with her Aunt and Uncle; they are staying at Lambton for a few days. I happened upon them yesterday while they were touring the grounds."

"Edward?" she looked concerned. "I am willing to wager that was a very uncomfortable experience for you."

"It was, but after the initial shock wore off I decided to make the most of it. I wanted to show her I had addressed her concerns and was actively trying to make myself a better man."

Alice shook her head, "Edward, you really are to hard on yourself. I feel people's misperceptions of you come from that fact they don't know the real you. Since Father died you have put up a stoic front to shield yourself from others."

I was amazed again at how my sister was able to see straight through me. "True, but in my defense, I have never been overly warm to false fawning and pretences."

She giggled, "Yes, I do remember some interesting encounters over the years."

I feigned hurt, "Alright, if you want we can stay here and reminisce about my run-ins with desperate debutantes, or we can visit Miss Isabella."

"Miss Isabella?" We bother turned to see a very stunned Emmett. "Is she here?"

"Yes, she is touring the lakes with her Aunt and Uncle, they are staying in town. I was going to introduce Alice." I could see the confusion, "I wanted to introduce them under a less formal setting and without the interference of certain people."

Comprehension lit his face, "Yes, that would be awkward," he paused a moment, "Would you mind terribly if accompanied you? I would very much like to see Miss Isabella again."

He stood nervously awaiting my answer. "Of course, are you ready to depart? I'm afraid I would like to be gone before the rest of the party arrives."

Emmett winked conspiratorially, "Yes that would be best."

We walked to the waiting carriage and drove toward Lambton. Though the journey was short, I felt the panic set in.

What if she felt I was being too presumptuous? What if I had misread her yesterday and she was just being overly polite.

It was possible, I had grossly misread her before.

What if... "Edward, stop. Everything will be fine." Alice whispered, while put a comforting hand in mine.

I gave her a small smile in return and looked out at the trees. Nothing truly worthwhile came without a price.

And earning Isabella's love was worth everything I had.

0 comments:

Post a Comment