Sunday, March 21, 2010

Whispers of Hope

The carriage arrived at the Inn, and we were met by a very polite and anxious innkeeper. "Good afternoon, sir," he said as he opened the door.

"A good afternoon to you, Mr. Waylon." I smiled. Mr. Waylon had owned this inn since before I was born. My father had always spoken highly of his generosity. "I trust everything is well with you and your family?"

"It is sir, thank you for thinking of us. To what do I owe the honor of this visit?"

"We have come to pay a visit to an acquaintance of mine staying here with, a Mr. and Mrs. Cullen." I replied.

"Ah yes, I believe they have gone out, but the young lady traveling with them stayed behind."

I was elated by the fact that fate was seeing to it that this visit was successful, no impediments were hindering us. I just hoped Isabella was as happy as I.

"If you please, sir, follow me to the private dining area. I will send Sarah to find Miss Swan."

Emmett lingered behind, "Edward, if you don't mind, I want to be sure Miss Isabella is comfortable before I make my presence known. She can't be overly thrilled to see me after the way I departed Hertfordshire, but I would like to see her none the less."

I frowned as I thought of his misplaced fear, he shouldn't feel guilty over something that was not all his doing.

"Of course, Emmett, I will let her know you wish to see her and leave the choice to her."

He gave me a small smile, "Thank you, Edward."

Alice pulled on my arm, and we followed the direction Mr. Waylon had gone. "Edward, why was Mr. McCarty so hesitant to meet with Miss Isabella? I understood it was her sister he had been interested in."

I sighed heavily, "It was because of the way he left. He feels the family is angry with him, and although I know Miss Isabella is not, I can't tell him that without raising more questions," I whispered.

We reached the room, and Mr. Waylon left to find Sarah and see what was taking so long. Alice said nothing further, but seemed lost in thought.

The door opened and Isabella walked through. She seemed to be surprised, but the smile on her face told me she was genuinely happy to see us.

"Mr. Masen, I did not expect to see you again so soon."

"I am sorry if we have come at a bad time, but we were anxious to meet as soon as possible."

She raised her eyebrow in question, but seemed to let it pass.

"Miss Isabella, may I introduce my sister to you?" She nodded, and I turned and motioned for Alice to step forward, "Miss Isabella, this is my sister, Miss Alice Masen."

I moved from their path to allow them the space to make introductions. I watched as Isabella approached a very timid Alice. I knew the moment she began asking her about music that Isabella was perfect for not only me, but our family. She seemed to pick up that Alice was very shy with strangers and attempted to draw her out with comfortable topics. The conversation seemed to flow, and I was reminded that Emmett was waiting downstairs in the carriage.

"Miss Isabella, Mr. McCarty has also accompanied us and is very desirous of seeing you as well. In fact, he insisted upon accompanying us. May I summon him?"

Her eyes lit up, "Of course, I should be very happy to see him again."

I bowed and went in search of Emmett, who no doubt was getting more agitated by the second. When I reached the carriage he was nervously twisting his gloves.

"Will she see me?" he asked in a cautious tone.

"Of course, Emmett, she said she would be delighted."

He dropped the gloves, "Really?" He looked excited and hopeful.

I chuckled, "Yes, now come with me, unless you feel the need to inflict more pain on those gloves of yours."

We walked into the room to find the two women talking and laughing as if they were old friends. My smile grew, as I thought of how good Isabella would be for Alice. From what I had seen, she was fiercely protective of those she loved, and her merits showed me time and again that she would make an excellent friend to my sister.

"Miss Isabella, I was so happy to hear you were so close to Pemberley." Emmett looked excited it seemed when she smiled at him, all fear and hesitation left.

"Mr. McCarty, it is so good to see you again," she responded warmly.

"Yes, it's been too long, since I have had the pleasure of speaking to you."

She smiled a tight smile, "It has been several months at least."

"It has, we haven't spoken since the twenty-seventh of November, when we danced at Netherfield." He paused for a moment. "You know, I cannot remember a happier time than those short months I spent in Hertfordshire."

Alice walked toward me, seeking to give them some privacy.

"Edward, I would like to invite Miss Isabella and her Aunt and Uncle to dine with us at Pemberley, would that be agreeable with you?"

She looked determined yet wary, no doubt unsure of herself as a host. I, however, was thrilled she was making the effort to try.

"Of course, Alice." I smiled, and she seemed to garner whatever courage she needed.

Turning toward Isabella and Emmett, she stepped forward. "Miss Isabella, my brother and I would be honored if you, and your Aunt and Uncle, would be our guests at Pemberley for dinner. Would tomorrow evening be convenient?"

"Of course, Miss Masen, and I can answer for Mr. and Mrs. Cullen; we have no prior engagements."

The smiles between both women gave me a stirring of warmth I had not felt in a long time. I thought of my mother, and how she would be so proud of the woman Alice was becoming. I had no doubt Isabella was the key to helping her achieve that.

"Excellent." Emmett exclaimed.

I looked at her, "Thank you for letting us intrude on your morning, we will meet again tomorrow evening?"

I waited for her to speak, but she just nodded, still looking at me.

Emmett and Alice both began walking toward the door. I looked away for a moment, but then looked back before leaving.

She had turned away busying herself with her gloves.

"Thank you," I replied simply, and she looked back up at me. Her eyes told me she knew why I was thanking her.

I turned and walked through the door before I said, or did anything that would ruin the fragile beginning we were making.

The ride back was mostly silent. It seemed everyone had their own thoughts on what had passed. It was a nice respite to relax and not be forced into conversation, which would have been expected with other company. But Alice and Emmett knew me well, and so they let me be.

As we pulled up to Pemberley, I was so immersed in my thoughts that I failed to notice another carriage parked and being unloaded. It wasn't until we had exited the carriage and made our way up the steps that I realized something was wrong.

We were immediately assaulted by a noxious perfume and an impatient, irate, Harpy.

"Emmett!" She cried. "You cannot imagine our distress arriving only to find you had all gone!" She shrieked. "What could possibly be so pressing to take you all away so soon after arriving?" Her eyes were wild; she looked crazed.

"Tanya, will you calm down? You are getting worked up over nothing." Emmett attempted to calm her, but it only incited her more.

"No, I will not calm down. You should have been here to welcome me; I should not have to arrive at Pemberley only to be greeted by the staff." She was being as petulant as a child.

"I won't tolerate you berating your hosts, Tanya, they had business in Lambton, and you have no right to pester them with questions. Go upstairs and lie down before you seize yourself." She glared at him spitefully.

I concluded the only reason she was upset was because I was not here when she arrived. I knew it was wrong to further provoke her, but I couldn't help myself.

The reward was just too temping, knowing she would rise to the occasion.

"We were in Lambton paying a visit to Miss Isabella. I wanted to introduce my sister to her during her stay." I finished with calm indifference.

It was amusing to watch as all the pieces fell into place, and comprehension dawned on her visage. Her insincere outrage melted away to leave a bitter, ill concealed hatred. I knew this was necessary, I didn't want to have Isabella or her family mistreated in anyway, so ample warning was in order.

"I have invited her, and her Aunt and Uncle, to spend some time at Pemberley, so you will have a chance to renew your acquaintance then. As any guest of mine, they will be treated with respect."

The simpering mask she so often wore fell, and her eyes hardened as her lips went into a sneer.

I was tempted to smirk at her but thought better of it.

"Oh, Miss McCarty, I am sure you are as excited as I am, having already met her. Miss Isabella is delightful, and I am looking forward to getting to know her better." She turned to me and winked. "Brother, I'm tired. I think I will go lie down awhile." She kissed my cheek and walked away.

Not wanting to be in the presence of The Harpy for another moment, I excused myself as well. I made it to my study, and it was not long before someone knocked on my door.

"Come in." My tone was hesitant, praying it was not who I feared I might be.

"Mr. Masen, might I have a word?" Mrs. Cope appeared in the doorway.

I smiled in relief, "Please, come and sit down." I motioned to the chair opposite mine.

"Thank you, Sir. I apologize for interrupting you but, Sir, you need to do something about that woman, and soon."

Mrs. Cope, for as long as I can remember, was a very patient and tolerant woman, the only other person that had caused her to lose her composure this quickly was Wickham.

I sighed heavily, "What has she done?"

She scoffed, "What hasn't she done? She has only been here a few hours and already is ordering around the staff like she owns the place. She threw an absolute tantrum when she learned you were out, and then when we showed her to her chambers, she demanded to be moved to the family wing." She paused to take a breath. "And..."

"Wait there's more?" I ask incredulously.

"You seem to underestimate this woman's infatuation with you and this house, Master Edward, and that is a very foolish and dangerous mistake to make."

"Mrs. Cope, I have never given her any reason to expect anything from me. In fact, the only time I am in her presence is when I am with her brother."

"Ah, but you see son, she doesn't believe it. A woman, who is prowling back and forth in front of the window waiting for your return, is not a woman who thinks she has no chance."

She began waving her finger at me. "She looked like a cage animal the way she was pacing back and forth. I'm telling you for your own good, she is nothing but trouble and I wouldn't trust her one bit."

I chuckled lightly, "You always were fiercely protective of us," I paused before adding "I promise to be cautious."

She eyed me carefully, "You know I only want to help."

"I know, thank you."

~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~

I walked down the steps with a curiosityI couldn't ignore. The incessant laughter of two women echoed down the halls.

What was going on?

I couldn't see them, although I looked everywhere, was I going mad? I saw candles flickering in the music room and walked toward them. As I neared, the laughter became louder, and I was able to recognize one of the women was Alice.

When I came to the door, I pushed it open slowly. There, by the piano, stood Alice, Isabella was seated at the instrument. Both were talking and laughing. I was so entranced by the scene before me; it made me feel like Pemberley was a home again for the first time in many years.

I memorized their faces, the happiness that radiated from both was captivating.

Isabella looked over at me and smiled brightly.

"Edward... "

The dreams were back and they were more vivid than before. I held my head trying to hold onto her sweet face. That Isabella and my sister got on well, I had no doubt. Alice seemed quite taken with her. She cornered me after dinner and asked me if it would be possible to see her sooner.

I chuckled at the memory.

Mr. Cullen was coming to fish this morning, and I had extended Isabella, and her Aunt, an invitation as well. Alice had been delighted when I told her, though a little vexed that I had kept her in suspense for so long.

"Edward, do you think I will be able to entertain all these ladies? I have never played hostess to more than just family." Her eyes were wide with fear as she no doubt saw all the possibility of failure.

"Alice, I have complete faith in you," I reassured her.

"Would you mind terribly making a short appearance later? I'm just so nervous."

Though I knew Alice would be fine, it would be the perfect excuse to see Isabella. "Of course my darling, though I know all will be well."

I dressed and prepared to meet Mr. Cullen in the courtyard, I was unsure if the ladies would accompany him this early in the morning. Mr. Cullen arrived promptly, and I directed him to where the rods and tackle had been assembled for our use.

"Good morning Mr. Masen," he greeted me. "It's a beautiful morning for fishing; I would like to thank you again for being so generous."

I shook me head, "I am delighted sir, it is not often I find another angler as enthusiastic as myself." I paused wondering if I should ask what I so desperately wanted to know. "Did the ladies accompany you this morning?" I tried to conceal my enthusiasm.

His lip curved up in a knowing smile, damn I was not as subtle as I would have wished. "I prefer the biting we encounter this morning to only be from the fish, so I left them to their slumber," he concluded with a chuckle.

I had to laugh as well, it seemed an absurd comment, but Mr. Cullen knew his wife and niece better than I.

"Will the ladies be arriving later then? I know Alice is very excited to better her acquaintance with Miss Isabella."

"Isabella was very taken with your sister, it seems she is just as excited for today's visit."

I was elated with this news, I knew that Mr. Cullen would not offer this information out of sheer politeness.

"Shall we see if the fish are biting this morning then?" He nodded and laughed.

We sat by the lake, Mr. Cullen had decided upon bait fishing not wanting to waste time traveling to the stream. I told him he was welcome to come back anytime to fish the trout stream. I secretly hoped there would be many opportunities in the future, because this would mean his niece would be a more significant part of my life.

It seemed more of a time for reflection than talking. Mr. Cullen reminded me very much of my own father.

I glanced around and realized it was already mid-morning, Isabella would surely be at the house by now. As if he sensed my thoughts, "I believe the ladies would have arrived by now." He said simply.

"Yes," I agreed. And we lapsed into another stretch of comfortable silence.

After another lapse I was becoming increasingly anxious to see how things were progressing at the house. I had no doubt Alice, Isabella and Mrs. Cullen would get on well, it was the other woman of the party which worried me. I must have seemed tense because Mr. Cullen put down his rod and cleared his throat.

"You seem tense and lost in thought, is there anything I can help you with?" His tone was light but there was a fatherly undertone. When I didn't respond right away he chuckled, "The fish can sense when people are upset, it scares them off."

I laughed a bit too loud, and was sure if there were any fish in the immediate area they were all gone now.

I hesitated before speaking but something about him said I could trust him. "I am only concerned about Alice… this is her first time being a hostess to other people besides family."

He looked out at the water for a moment, "Isabella said she seemed shy, but that really is to be expected in a girl her age." He picked up his rod and recast it into the water. "Although my wife and I were never able to have children, we always consider my nieces to be like our own. Isabella was very much like Alice when she was that age, though she would hide behind her books and tried to appear fiercer than she was, deep down she was afraid of disappointing her father."

He turned and looked at me, "Though I don't know you very well son, I wonder if your sister has those same fears, you are a brother and father to her. I commend you for what you have done, most young men your age would have gone a much easier route. But that also puts you in a very unique position, forgive me for being too personal but, even a full grown man trying to balance those two roles would find it to be extremely difficult." He turned back toward the lake, allowing me time to respond.

I was shocked by his perception of me. Although he had very little real experience with being a father, he seemed to have a wealth of knowledge, it made me miss my father's presence so much more. "I have only ever tried to do what I thought my parents would do, you are correct though, it is difficult, and I have often struggled to blend the two together." He stayed silent, only listening. "There have been many times I questioned myself, and whether I made the right choice. However, it always came back to me knowing my parents would have wanted us to be together. So, here I am trying to do what I can and hoping for the best."

Mr. Cullen chuckled, "I have no doubt, Mr. Masen, that you are." Pausing for a moment he opened his mouth to speak but shut it again quickly. Whatever he was going to say he thought better of it.

"Thank you," I replied sincerely.

"I promised Alice I would stop in and make sure everything was going well. Do you mind if I leave you to yourself? I do not mean to be such a discourteous host."

"Please, don't stay here on my account, I am amply able to amuse myself. This had been a wonderful diversion I could have scarcely imagined finding on this trip." He lifted his hand to mind, and I shook it. Then turned back and focused on his task.

I was nearly running as I made my way back to the house. The anticipation of seeing Isabella fueled my steps.

As I neared the house, I slowed to an acceptable pace. I needed to compose myself before seeing Isabella, she would no doubt see right through me.

The sitting room was not far from the music room, which afforded me a comfortable place in which to listen to the present conversation before making my presence known. I knew it would appear ridiculous to anyone who found me, but my curiosity got the best of me, and I was desperate to hear Isabella's unguarded words.

I smiled, as the unmistakable sound of laughter that floated from the room.

They were enjoying themselves, I smiled at this thought.

As I listened to the conversation, I realized just how little my previous observations of Isabella had done her justice. They were discussing the new book of poetry Alice was currently engrossed with. Isabella seemed genuinely interested and was actively participating while letting Alice lead the conversation. In her own subtle way she was giving Alice the confidence to lead a conversation without apprehension.

Pemberley at one time had been a home, full of love and laughter, but after the death of my parents it became a shadow of its former self, a sepulcher for our family. The happiness had died with them.

The laughter which was so like my dream stirred hope in my chest I had dared not dreamt of happening here again.

I crept closer, desperate to hear every detail.

"I agree, I have been having discussions with Colonel Whitlock. He is gracious enough to tolerate my obsession."

"I am sure he is pleased to find you have such varied interests, poetry is a topic many people find a common interest."

I wished I could see their facial expressions; it would lend so much to the feelings behind the words.

"I understand you are fond of music and play very well."

"No, not very well, but I am very fond of music. I should dearly love to hear you play and sing, my brother has told me he has rarely heard anything that gave him more pleasure."

I groaned allowed, "Alice"

"I assure you your brother has grossly exaggerated my talents. No doubt for some mischievous reason of his own."

"Oh, but that could not be true, Edward always tells the absolute truth."

"I am sure he was just being polite."

I wondered at why Isabella refused to believe my praise, although I never intended for Alice to slip about my confession, I did find her playing and voice to be exceptional.

"Miss Izabel, tell me, how is your family? Are your sisters as wild as ever?" The Harpy's voice was laced with false sincerity, as well as malice.

"My family is doing very well, Miss McCarty, thank you for asking. Victoria has been in Brighton these past weeks. Besides myself, the rest of the family remains at home."

Though it was her intent to injure Isabella, she did not succeed. I was excessively proud Isabella had not risen to the taught.

Not wanting Tanya to get another opportunity to belittle Isabella, I made my presence known.

"Good morning, Ladies." I directed my attention to the three sitting close, not even bothering to acknowledge the two shrews sitting on the opposite side of the room.

Alice's eye lit up immediately. "Edward, I thought you would be fishing." She had a knowing gleam in her eye; she knew I wouldn't be able to stay away.

"I was needed at the house for a moment and wanted to see how you ladies were faring."

Alice smiled, "That was very kind of you. Miss Isabella and her Aunt were just about to leave."

Leave… now? "Please don't leave on my account." I looked at Isabella and tried to convince her to stay.

It was she who answered my silent question. "Although our visit has been wonderful, we must return if we are going to be available for dinner this evening. We wished to return Miss Masen's gracious visit from yesterday," she added with a bit of a twinkle in her eye. She was goading The Harpy, and I think I loved her all the more for it.

"That was very kind, allow me to escort you ladies to your carriage," I offered.

Alice smiled, and rose excitedly, she knew there was more to my offer. She was right, I wanted to spend as much time with Isabella as I could.

We walked out of the room after the ladies thanked Alice, and although they did not deserve the sentiments, Isabella thanked the McCarty sisters as well. Isabella's graciousness, even to those undeserving, was a rare quality. I tried to keep a steady but slow pace; wanting to prolong the time I had with her arm laced in mine. When she accepted my arm I was thrilled. The shock of her touch coursed up my arm, and sent my heart racing. Though she applied a small amount of pressure, it was enough. I knew that this time she held my arm because she wanted to, and not out of obligation. The carriage was waiting for the two women and I assisted them in.

As I was closing the door, I remembered her uncle, "Mr. Cullen seemed to be getting on well, and was very relaxed. It shouldn't be to long before he returns to you."

Isabella smiled, "Thank you, sir, I am sure he is."

As I turned to walk inside, Alice was looking at me carefully. "Edward, please be sure you know how Miss Isabella feels before you jump too quickly. I know you, and I don't want to see you hurt again. I have a feeling she cares for you, but please be careful."

I took her arm and patted her hand in comfort, "Alice, I know all to well the consequence of assuming where Miss Isabella is concerned. I never make the same mistake twice, I am hers until she orders me away."

"That I am sure won't happen." She stated matter-of-factly.

Her face suddenly lit up, "Edward! I have a request. I should very much like to take Miss Isabella on a tour of the grounds, she mentioned being able to ride, so I thought perhaps tomorrow. Her Aunt already mentioned that she did not ride, would you accompany us?"

I stood there, warmth encompassing my body as the possibilities ran though my head.

Isabella would see my meadow.

"I would love to accompany you, Alice. Nothing would give me more pleasure."

"Thank you, Edward!" She exclaimed, "I will ask her tonight at dinner."

I felt the excitement sweep though my body. I would be able to take her to a place only Alice had seen, the thought had me wishing time would speed up. We walked back into the house, and I could have sworn there was spring in my step.

0 comments:

Post a Comment