Sunday, February 7, 2010

Duty and Desire chapter 14: The Old Bat

I do not own Twilight or Pride and Prejudice.




The sun had set, and darkness began to cover the gardens. I nearly ran as I made my way back to the drawing room. I couldn’t help the smile on my face. I needed to see Isabella, if only to assure myself that this was not just a dream. My decision should have terrified me, but all I could feel was a sense of serenity.

Everything was finally coming together; nothing could darken my mood.

As I approached the room, I took a deep breath before reaching out for the door knob. However, before I could turn it, the door opened and there before me stood the Old Bats ill tempered butler, Caius.

Damn it.

I suppose I was too hasty with my thoughts.

Caius stared at me with a look of absolute loathing and disdain. For a servant, he seemed to have an unusually high opinion of himself. He was just as grumpy today as he had been when I was a boy. I had never understood why Uncle Aro, God rest his soul, would never admonish him more for his attitude. He was insubordinate and took great delight in making our stays absolute hell. I decided later it must have been Aunt Irena who spoke for him; their attitudes were perfectly matched.

Dinner would be served soon, and I really had no desire to give the Old Bat more reason to note the rudeness of my departure. I had already expected the ‘Young man, I don’t care if you’re ill; people of our class do not simply beg off social engagements. It is our duty to attend no matter our condition.’ She was insufferable when it came to manners and etiquette, to the point I wondered if she was so critical of others to cover up her own insufficiencies.

I waited only a moment for Caius to step aside, when it was apparent he had other ideas. I walked around him, carful to keep my eyes forward. Caius was easier to deal with if I pretended he didn’t exist. I couldn’t have timed my entrance better; Lady Irena was distracted and thus I was spared her lectures.

For the moment.

I was momentarily relived and allowed myself to search for Isabella. She was speaking with her friend, who was blocking her from my view. I confess I was disappointed. I wanted nothing more than to stare into her beautiful eyes with my newly found sense of determination.

“Edward.” Jasper came up with a confused look on his face.

“I see the outside air did you some good. You look better than I have seen in days,” he chuckled to himself.

“Yes, well, you know how I get here. Rosings always seems to get to me and for some reason more swiftly this time. I just had a run in with Caius.”

Jasper shook his head, “Still harboring a grudge from when you lost Jane and Alec, is he?”

“Unfortunately, yes. I have no idea why he was so attached to those two, even if they were Uncle Aro’s prized hunting dogs. They were always a bit unstable; I would never trust them on a hunt. I always expected them to turn on me and bite a huge chunk from my limbs.”

We both chuckled in mutual understanding before I thought back to a more disturbing memory.

“Do you remember the time we followed Uncle Aro and Dad when they went shooting? Uncle took the dogs and they spent the entire time staring at us; it was unnerving.”

“Yes, and when we finally arrived, the poor stable hand had the terrible job of bathing those two. I remember he had to get stitches on both arms from the bites inflicted by the beasts. After that every servant flatly refused to bathe them.”

We both shuddered at the memory.

I confess I was not sad when the dogs were lost. They had, unbeknownst to me, followed me on one of my rides. It had occurred about five years back and I was exploring deeper into the Rosings forests, when I noticed the dogs. I was not about to make any extra effort on behalf of those crazy animals; if they chose to follow so be it. I was not their keeper. Unfortunately, they never made it home. Caius was furious and refused to leave his room. Aunt Irena, who never really cared for the dogs, had no opinion other than to say she regretted the loss of her late husband’s favorite dogs. To my benefit, I was able to enjoy the remainder of my stay, dog and Caius free.

“I always maintained there was something off about those two dogs, though you have to admit they were excellent hunting dogs.” I mused

Jasper nodded in agreement.

“I suppose Aro only kept them around for that reason. They were dreadful pets; Kate was completely terrified of Jane. She wouldn’t even sit in a room alone with that dog.”

“Gentlemen! If you would be so kind to join us for dinner, we are waiting.”

We turned to face an angry Lady Irena, which was never a good thing.

“Yes, your Ladyship.” We both mumbled

We were led to our seats, and while I was hoping to sit with a view of Isabella, I was seated opposite of Kate.

No doubt by design on the part of the Old Bat, I thought sourly.

She gave me a small apologetic smile, I waved her off. She had no reason to apologize.

As I sat, I looked to my right and realized I would be sitting next to Isabella. Her lavender smell teased my senses and I was overcome with her nearness.

How am I going to survive the next few hours?

Our bodies sat only inches away from one another. With a shock, I realized I could simply extend my hand and caress hers.

I wonder how she would react if I were to take her hand, I mused.

I shook off such dangerous thought. Isabella was a lady, and as such, she deserved to be treated appropriately.

The first course arrived and conversation dwindled to a dull whisper. I gathered the courage to speak to her.

I turned to look at her. “Is your family well, Miss Isabella?

She was bringing the spoon to her lips; I noticed her posture stiffened at my voice. I was not sure how she would feel about me addressing her in front of my Aunt. But I was determined to not waste any more time.

“They are all in excellent health, thank you,” she answered in a quiet voice.

Her tone was no doubt a product of the Rosings atmosphere; it would stifle even the most jovial person.

“My sister, Rosalie, has been in town these past weeks; perhaps you had an opportunity to see her.” She quirked her eyebrow in that wonderful playful manner, sending my emotions into a frenzy.

“No, I have not had that privilege. Where is she staying?”

The corner of her lips arose before she answered, “With my Aunt and Uncle in Cheapside.”

Ah, those relations. No matter, she would not get the rise from me she was seeking.

Not being one to be left out, Lady Irena joined the conversation. “Miss Isabella, your father’s estate is entailed on Mr. Newton, I believe." She turned toward the rector. "This is a very good thing for you, Mr. Newton. You and your wife will have a comfortable estate to look forward to.”

I was aghast. What a horrible thing to say in front of Isabella. However, I almost laughed aloud as Mr. Newton nodded his head with such vigor that I was afraid it would fall off.

She continued, “I see no occasion for entailing estates away from the female line. Kate will inherit all upon my death, as it should be,” she added arrogantly.

Turning her attention back to her, the Old Bat asked. “Do you play and sing, Miss Isabella?”

“A little... and very poorly.” She was looking confused as to why she was being addressed, and frankly, so was I. Lady Irena rarely took the trouble of discussing niceties with those she considered beneath her. I was however, disturbed a how Isabella was understating her talents.

“Hmm, do any of your sisters play?”

“Only one, your ladyship.” Isabella answered, and then turned her attention back to her soup, no doubt trying to end the conversation. However, my aunt was not finished.

“And what of drawing? Do any of your sisters draw?”

“Not one, Lady Denali.” Isabella answer sounded harsh, but it was no wonder, this line of questioning was becoming tiresome.

“Not one? Did your mother never take you to town for the benefits of the masters?”

Isabella smiled. “I am sure my mother would have loved that, but my father hates town.”

A few moments of silence ensued before the Old Bat spoke again.

“Has your governess left you?”

Isabella looked up with an exasperated expression, “We never had a governess your ladyship.”

“What? Five girls and no governess? I have never heard of such a thing!” she exclaimed rudely.

I rolled my eyes. This was getting absurd.

“Your mother must have been quite the slave to your educations. Either that or you were all left to your own devices and were no doubt neglected,” Lady Irena stated with finality.

As if she knew there circumstances intimately, I scoffed to myself.

“Not at all, your ladyship,” Isabella answered in a calm voice. I was surprised she could maintain such a calm air about herself. I would have been beyond control by this point.

“Well, if I had known your mother, I would have most seriously encouraged her to seek one out. It is impossible to control the education of five young women and maintain any air of dignity. That is what a governess is for.”

Dignity?

“I assure you Lady Irena, we were never in want; we had access to masters that suited our particular needs. I suppose if one were inclined to be idle, it would suit very poorly indeed, but as we never had that inclination it allowed learning and discovery to flourish.”

My mouth opened, I looked at my aunt who was simply aghast. I then looked over at Jasper who was equally astonished. No one had ever publicly contradicted my aunt, it was simply not done.

But I must confess, I enjoyed every minute of it.

Not wanting to allow Isabella the last say, the Old Bat continued.

“Tell me, Miss Isabella, are all your sisters out?”

“Yes, your Ladyship, all five.”

“What? All five out at once? I have never heard of such a thing. The younger ones out before the elder are married?”

I wondered if this was to be a reoccurring theme- ‘all the things Lady Denali had never heard of.’

“Yes, your ladyship. Though, I think it fine that younger sisters get their share of amusement and not have it stifled by the fact the elder have neither the desire nor inclination to marry.”

“You must be very young yet, Miss Isabella, pray tell, what is your age?”

Isabella smirked before answering. “With all my sisters out you can hardly expect me to own to it, your ladyship.”

She paused before answering, “I am not yet one and twenty.”

“Well…” With that, Lady Irena turned to converse with people who were more likely to fan her vanity, and Isabella certainly was not the woman for that.

I replayed the odd encounter in my mind and something that stuck out and made me uneasy with her statement was about not being inclined nor the desire to marry. I knew she had refused Mr. Newton, but I assumed it was because he was an idiot. I never took into account she would never want to marry.

She will. If I were to make her an offer, how could she refuse?

My subconscious soothed my fears, and I pushed the nagging feeling to the side.

Dinner proceeded with mundane conversation, mostly revolving around the Old Bats many accomplishments. She made no secret of all the praise she received for her various charitable works.

Her Idea of charity is to stick her nose into other people’s business.

When dinner was finally finished, we retired to the drawing room for coffee and conversation.

Isabella was seated and looked quite bored. This life was not for her. Although she possessed the proper manners deemed appropriate for company, she had more to give.

She could make a person smile, make someone simply enjoy life.

“Miss Isabella, would you play the pianoforte for us?”

Isabella looked in the direction of my Aunt; her posture told me she was ready to be berated once more.

“Your Ladyship, I was not exaggerating earlier when I said I played a little and poorly. Surely there is someone else whom could play better than I.”

Poorly? I had never heard such a sweet blending of song and music in my life. Surely she could not think so lowly of her talent.

“No, you must play for us. And during your stay you are welcome to the piano forte in the west wing. Since my husband’s death no one goes in that part of the house. You will not be a bother to anyone over there.”

I was astounded at the ill-mannered civility my aunt was showing. How could I have not recognized this sooner? It seemed that she had gotten worse, becoming more fixed in her ways without anyone to check her.

And you thought the same of Isabella for her relatives.

It seemed my subconscious was not above pointing out all my recent offenses.

A slow enchanting melody began to fill the air, and I realized Isabella had moved to play as she was instructed.

I also noticed Jasper was gone.

The Old Bat was regaling Mrs. Newton with tales of her latest achievement of kindness; some young woman she had helped place as a governess. I rolled my eyes and took the opportunity to go and find Jasper.

I also wanted to listen to Isabella play without being watched.

I stood quickly and made my way toward the piano, and there standing next to my Isabella was Jasper. What was he up to? Why would he have any interest in speaking with her? I knew it was irrational, but seeing him standing next to her brought a jealousy I was unable to account for. She turned her head toward him; looking into his face, she smiled and laughed.

Why is she laughing for him?

Jasper also laughed, and I wanted nothing more than to run him through.

I made my way over to the opposite side of the piano forte, and listened to her play while looking directly into her eyes.

She lifted her eyes and looked into mine. She turned to Jasper and smirked, before turning back to me.

“Do you mean to frighten me, Mr. Masen, by coming in all this state to hear me play? You should know that my courage always rises with every attempt to intimidate me.”

She wants to play, does she? Well, I can certainly rise to the occasion.

“I know you take great pleasure in expressing opinions that are not your own.”

Isabella laughed quietly, but kept playing.

“Col. Whitlock, your friend would teach you to not believe a word I say. That is cruel, is it not?”

Jasper looked up at me, puzzled by the exchange, “It is indeed, Edward.”

“And impolitic too, for it forces me to retaliate and say something of his behavior which may shock you.”

I smiled. “I am not afraid of you.”

Jasper was grinning by this point; I was unsure what he found so damn amusing about this situation. “Pray tell me, I would love to know how he behaves among strangers.”

She looked at me again before smirking and turning to Jasper.

“Prepare yourself for something quite dreadful.”

She wouldn’t tell him how I had slighted her, would she? I was beginning to panic, and it must have shown on my face, for Isabella’s smirk turned into a full smile.

“When I first met him it was at an assembly,” Oh Lord, she was going to tell him. Alice will kill me for sure. “You know he only danced four dances, though gentlemen were scarce and more than one lady sat idle without a partner.”

I was unaware I was holding my breath, but I released it with a slow sigh of relief. She had not told him. Why, I was unsure, because she had every right to humiliate me the way I had her.

Perhaps she loved me too?

I needed to answer, but it seemed I could not think properly.

“I had not the advantage of knowing anyone outside of my own party. I feel unqualified to recommend myself to strangers.”

It was a lame excuse but the only decent one I could think of at the moment.

Isabella smiled at Jasper, and continued to play. “Should we ask him why? Why a man with sense and education, whom has lived in the world, would feel himself unqualified to recommend himself to strangers.”

Jasper looked at me and smiled. “I can answer that- because he will not trouble himself to try.”

I was going to have a serious conversation with Jasper when we were next alone; this was getting out of hand.

“I have not that talent of conversing easily with people I have never met before.” My excuses were getting worse by the second.

“I do not play this instrument as well as I would wish to, but I consider that to be my own fault since I would not take the trouble of practicing.” she said softly, but her tone was not without impact.

Her low opinion of her talent still astounded me. Did she not see how much her music affected me? I tried to convey with my eyes what my words could not.

I love you; your music reaches my soul.

I smiled, and her smirk faltered. “You are perfectly right; you have employed your time much better. No one with the privilege of hearing you would think anything wanting. I believe neither of us performs for strangers.”

“What are you talking of? I must know. I must have my part of the conversation,” the Old bat bellowed.

And the spell was broken. Isabella began to play once more and I moved back to the couches, hoping to disappear into one.

“What were you talking of?”

I groaned, realizing she was not going to let this go.

“We were speaking of music, and our various tastes.”

She sat up straighter in her chair, and put on a false look of enthusiasm. “Ah, no one has a more true enjoyment of music than myself, nor a better taste. If I had ever learnt I would have been a true proficient. So would Kate, if her health had allowed. You must convey to Alice the importance of practicing, constant practice.

I was alarmed; did she really believe these ridiculous notions?

I made a mental note to read all the Old Bats letters to Alice before she saw them. Although Alice was strong she was still a gentle spirit. I would not allow her recovery to be hindered by unsolicited and frankly poor advice.

It was not long after that the Newton party bid their farewells and returned to the Parsonage.

I went to bed that night, ready to embrace whatever dream my mind could conjure. Tomorrow, everything would begin anew and I couldn’t wait to welcome it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment