Sunday, February 7, 2010

Duty and Desire: Prologue

I do not own Twilight or Pride and Prejudice



I could feel everything.

The wind, as it whipped past my face, caressing it with a coolness that always seemed to calm me. The subtle scent the dew gives as it rests on the mossy forest floor. Every sound echoed as I pushed harder and harder, desperate to find what I needed.

I could still see her face, those angry, defiant eyes that looked directly into my soul. Her eyes called to me, locked me in place.

I never had a chance.

Galloping through the woods, I spurned Blackjack harder; I needed this almost as much as I needed her. I knew I was punishing myself, but I didn’t care. I had been careless with my actions and callous with her feelings. I couldn’t blame her for rejecting me.

I had brought it all on myself.

With another crack from my crop, I went faster. My thighs were burning, desperately trying to hold their place. My backside ached from the repeated contact with the saddle. My lungs burned and I didn’t know how much more I could take. I was suffocating, but I kept pushing.

Knowing I was running toward nothing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment