Sunday, February 7, 2010

Duty and Desire chapter 8: The clergyman and the foe

I do not own Twilight or Pride and Prejudice.



November 1812

Dearest Alice,

I know it has been a fortnight since you last heard from me. I apologize, I have not been fit company as of late. I was unable to write words of neither comfort nor happiness, and would have made you unhappy. Therefore, I decided to wait till my mood improved before writing again. Have no fear, I am well. It is nothing more than a passing phase I am going through at present. I always prided myself on my ability to stay calm and collected in any given situation, to be discerning of the character of those around me. Yet I fear at every turn that ability is being tested. The only consolation has been my discussions with Miss Isabella. She truly is a remarkable young woman, intelligent, and witty. She held her own against Tanya, taking her venom and turning it back on her. I must admit it was one of the highlights of this trip thus far. Miss Isabella plays and sings very well, it reminds me much of our mother. She has the same force of feeling when she plays, not to mention her voice is captivating. I have very much enjoyed her company. I am happy to hear you have learned new pieces to play for me. I look forward to hearing them when I return to town for the holidays. I expect to leave Hertfordshire at the end of this month, till then you must supply me with details of what you are busing yourself with. What books are you currently enjoying, dear one? I miss our discussions and have a few books in mind for when I return. Take care and know that I love you dearly.

Your loving brother,

Edward Masen

~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~

Dearest Edward,

I was pleased to receive your letters; I had been worried at not receiving a reply. I see that you have been occupied dear brother, more so than you dare admit. I am glad you are being of use to Mr. McCarty; he is such a nice gentleman. I was thoroughly diverted with your comments about Tanya being put in her place. She deserves it for all her false friendliness, her ability to turn a deaf ear to what people really think is astounding. I can scarcely believe she volunteered to help me with my clothes. That I would ever consider orange as a color for my clothes was laughable. But enough of her; I seem to be hearing a great deal about a Miss Isabella. I am happy to see a lady has finally caught your eye, Edward. You know that I can see right through you. I can never recall you mentioning a woman, much less devoting so much thought to her in one letter. She must be quite a special lady to have captivated you so quickly. I truly hope I will meet her soon. Anyone whom you praise with such fervor can be nothing less than extraordinary.

As for me, I am well. I find that occupying my time is not as difficult as I thought. My music keeps me company, and I am content with reading. As you asked, I am currently reading poetry; be prepared, brother, for a lively debate. Jasper is attentive and has even taken to reading poetry. I have a feeling this is only to placate me, as I know he prefers philosophy. I told him he needed to broaden his horizons and he seemed thoroughly amused by my comment.

I miss you exceedingly and look forward to the holidays.

Your loving sister,

Alice Masen

~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~

Edward,

I am writing to apprise you of Alice’s progress during your absence. I call on her daily and spend as much time as I can spare. We spend much time reading and discussing literature. Though I am familiar with many of the books she is reading, I confess I am not as well versed in poetry as you seem to be. However, Alice has determined this shall be remedied, and I am reading Scott and Byron at present. Thus are the sacrifices we make for those we love.

On a more serious note, I am not able to come as often as I would like, as of late. The Major General is under significant pressure to send more officers to France. This seems to include even the younger sons of the Aristocracy. It appears that if they get their way, I will be shipped off to France forth with. I feel the need to be honest and inform you of just how poorly this war is going for us at present. Many men are dying, and officers are of no exception. This has become nothing less than a blood bath on the fields of France. Napoleon, it seems, is willing to sacrifice his countryman to retain his position. It is madness. That being said, I would not wish to raise Alice’s expectations if I were to go to France and not return. I will delay any suit until my situation is not so precarious; I could never hurt her in such a way. I know you understand my reasons. I only pray Alice will.

Your friend

Col. Jasper Whitlock

~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~

Dearest Alice,

I think back to my letter and I should have been more guarded with my words. You always were good at seeing straight into my thoughts, sometimes I think you know me better than I know myself. Miss Isabella, as you put it, is extraordinary, though I am afraid she has a rather poor opinion of me at present. My goal is to hopefully erase what little I can with the hope that we may part friends. I plan to leave here at the end of the month. Sometimes I very much wish our father were still alive. I could ask his advice knowing he would have sound council to help me through. Alas, I know that is impossible, and will draw from his teaching to help me through this difficult time.

Emmett has made significant progress, and no longer requires my guidance. I believe he intends to stay at Netherfield for Christmas, thus you will be spared from unwanted advice. I received a letter from Jasper, and he seems all too happy to oblige you in you quest to broaden his horizons. Alice, go easy on him, dear one, you know very well he would do anything you ask. I may decide to throw in Plato to our discussions as retribution on his behalf. I do have some distressing news .Alice, have no fear everyone is well. Jasper at present is in a precarious situation. As you know he is under the command of the Major General, who keeps sons of those such as Jasper from being sent to battle. Despite what they say, if this war continues for much longer, every man, regardless of their parentage, will be needed. Let us all pray this never comes to pass. I want him to have no part in this blood bath. I am hopeful that all this worry will be for nothing. Just remember, Alice, we both love you.

Your loving brother,

Edward Masen

~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~I~

I carefully folded and sealed the letter, intending on posting it immediately. I emerged from the library, and nearly collided with two housemaids walking as fast as their feet could carry them. I confess their behavior struck me as a bit odd. Not one to care about the problems of housemaids, I continued toward my destination. I was about to round the corner when I heard an ear splitting voice.

“What does it take to get good help around here? No one is around when I need them! Its ecru! I asked for ecru, not beige! I refuse to be the laughing stock of this ridiculous town because you can’t tell the difference between two colors.” The Harpy was screeching at some poor servant who unfortunately was unable to getaway.

Deciding to take a detour, I turned in the direction the two house maids had gone, no doubt running from her as well. I laughed at the ridiculousness of her statement; the people here could care less about the colors, they were happy to be invited at all.

A fortnight after Miss Swan and Isabella had returned home, Emmett announced the date for the ball. The preparations were made and the invitations sent. The Harpy was an absolute nightmare, barking orders and issuing outrageous requests. She had brought Emmett’s staff to the brink. I would be unsurprised if they didn’t all up and quit by the end of the week. He had assured them it was her first time arranging such an event, and a huge amount of pressure to have everything run smoothly. Translated into lemans terms:

She has no idea what she’s doing and is making a fool of herself in the process, just humor me, and you will all get something extra in your wages this week.

I was always in awe of Emmett’s ability to create such a feeling of unity; his staff though new was very loyal to him. If it had been people from London, they would have quit the first day.

After successfully maneuvering myself out of the range of fire, I posted my letter and went in search of Emmett.

As I was about to enter his study, Emmett opened the door unexpectedly. He looked at me then side to side before asking me to join him. He seemed to be acting strange.

“Edward, would you mind accompanying me over to the Swan residence? I have their invitation to the ball. I know it is forward, but I would very much like to deliver it myself and see for myself how Miss Rosalie fares.”

Ah, that explains it.

“And I take it Tanya does not approve of this.”

I could only imagine the fury the banshee would unleash. The delivery of the invitation was a public declaration whether he saw it that way or not, he was singling out Miss Rosalie. It would raise the expectations of her family.

“Of course Emmett, I will be of whatever service you require. Would you like to leave directly?”

“Yes, the sooner the better,” he said with an apprehensive look.

I pitied him, I could not imagine what it would do to a man to have such a selfish sister.

“Of course Emmett, let us meet at the stable in half an hour.”

I turned to walk out the door, when I heard Emmett whisper so low I was unsure if I had heard him correctly.

“Thank you, it is good to have one person on my side.”

Unsure how to respond, I turned and nodded before stepping through the door, quickly shutting it behind me. I have no desire to take sides in this matter, I thought as I readied myself. I would offer my advice or opinions if asked, but I would not interfere. It was simply ungentlemanly and frankly unbecoming. Meddling was for the old matrons with nothing more to fulfill their lives than to involve themselves in other peoples’ affairs.

Quietly, I snuck out to the stables undetected. Emmett was already there waiting. Our horses were already saddled, so we made our escape quickly. The ride was serene compared to the turmoil we had left behind.

“Edward, I know you think I am being forward and rash, but if all goes well at the Ball I intend on asking permission to court Miss Rosalie. “ His statement was full of conviction; I could not fault him for that.

“I find no fault in your plan Emmett, it is your happiness; if Miss Swan makes you happy, then you have my support.”

He smiled, “Thank you Edward. “How is Alice? Last we spoke, you were worried about leaving her.”

“She is doing well; she keeps busy with poetry and music,” I smiled at the memory.

“And Col. Whitlock is watching over her? How does he fare?” My smile immediately disappeared.

“Not so well. I am afraid I received a rather distressing letter from him. If the tide of this war is not turned soon, he will be sent to France.” Emmett sucked in a ragged breath, he knew the outcome of that, as well as I.

“Yes Emmett, if he goes to France he has little chance of returning. Jasper is a cavalryman, and he is also a soldier. He would die with his men, following them straight to hell if need be.”

I shook off the shudder I felt.

“So let us hope for the best and that this damn war ends soon.”

He nodded. “Yes we all should pray for that.”

We rode in silence as we entered Meryton. Hoping to pass through quickly and remain unnoticed. Many of the inhabitants were too busy to notice, and for that I was grateful. Emmett was stopped for a moment by a gentleman, whom I gathered was fond of shooting and had an interest in the sport Netherfield had to offer. Uninterested in the conversation, I looked for something to catch my interest.

At that moment Isabella came bounding out of a shop her sisters in tow. Her face looked flushed, as if she had been running.

Why would she be flushed? I looked closer at her expression, it seemed almost angry. I was trying to figure out what could possibly cause her to become angry when I looked up at the shop.

A ribbon shop?

What could possibly cause her to become upset in a ribbon shop? I was at a loss.

Just then the most ridiculous man came bounding out of the shop, almost tripping as he stepped off the landing. He tried to right himself but it was of no use, the clothes were ill fitting to begin with.

He looked simply ridiculous.

I had never seen him before. He was a short man with blonde hair cut short on the top and longer in the back. Surly that hair must be a wig, no self respecting man would cut his hair in such a fashion. From his attire, I gathered he must be a vicar. His eyes searched longing for someone, though I could hardly imagine him married, poor woman. His eyes stopped and his expression changed to one of exultant joy. I followed the line of sight and saw whom they rest upon.

Isabella.

“Cousin Isabella! There you are, I thought I had lost you.” The man’s simpering voice gave me chills.

This man was her cousin? Is he the one who had made her angry?

He walked up to her side and attempted to take her arm. She shrugged him away.

It bothered me that this man was touching her; I felt a strange urge to put my horse between Isabella and the disgusting little man.

“Edward, “Emmett was finally done with is conversation. “There is Miss Rosalie, how fortunate.”

As we rode over towards them, my eyes were fixed on Isabella. She looked very angry, like she was about to use physical force to repel the tiny man.

Could he not see she wanted nothing to do with him? He could not possibly be that stupid?

“Ladies! How fortunate we met you, we were just on our way to your home to deliver your invitation.”

This news seemed to captivate the others, yet the annoying man seemed unconcerned and continued in his effort to speak to Isabella.

I was correct in my assessment, he was rather short and his features were on the smaller side. I noticed his neck cloth was tied too tight under his chin; causing his face to turn an unnatural shade of red as he spoke. His posture and mannerisms were too forward, it was obviously causing Isabella discomfort. She was backing up ever so slightly every time he would advance.

I was unable to catch more than a few words, all it seemed came from the irritating vicar.

“I flatter myself.”

“Esteemed.”

“Chimney piece.”

“A lane.”

It was all nonsensical gibberish, what was this man about?

Isabella moved closer to her sisters, no doubt trying to discourage further conversation; however, the man followed her like a puppy. I was tempted to turn my horse, hoping he was standing close. A good kick in the head might help knock some sense into him, and he would act more respectful with ladies.

Isabella was grabbed suddenly by the youngest.

“Look, Isabella, Mr. McCarty has set the date for the ball, we are all invited. Isn’t it exciting?” the young girl squealed.

Isabella looked at Emmett. “Thank you sir, we are honored by your invitation.”

Miss Rosalie added, “Yes, please convey our greetings to your sisters.”

It was more than they deserved for their treatment of them, yet it showed just how far above them they were.

“Sir you must invite the militia! They are excellent company,” Miss Victoria cut in.

“Victoria! You cannot invite people to others people’s balls,” Isabella admonished. She had a tinge of pink in her cheeks, no doubt from the mortification.

“Oh come on, we all know you are no fun, why can’t others be entertained without you pouring cold water on all our fun.”

Isabella’s cheeks were now a full red; I wanted to lecture her sister for the embarrassment she was causing Isabella.

Emmett decided to intervene.

“Of course they are welcome; I will extend an invitation to include them as well.”

“Thank you!” she screeched, running off.

Thank heavens.

Emmett seemed unfazed by Victoria’s shameful behavior.

“So Miss Rosalie, can I be so bold as to secure the first two dances with you at the ball?”

She looked taken back and slowly raised her face looking up at Emmett, replying;

“Yes sir, you may. Thank you.” She had a slight smile on her face, I was unsure as to the meaning.

Emmett beamed.

I looked over at Isabella, who was still trying to fend of the unwanted advances of the little clergyman. He was doing some ridiculous hand gestures, as if he were signaling a ship into port. I almost forgot my manners and laughed out loud. Isabella, it seemed, was barely tolerating him. I wondered who he was; obviously he was a cousin but for some reason his actions left me uneasy.

Laying his hand on Isabella arm, she quickly withdrew it. I had to look elsewhere, or I would jump down from horse and throttle the man for his impertinence. I looked toward the direction the sister went and noticed she was talking, no, actually openly flirting with a group of officers. She turned pointing in our direction and they made their way slowly over to our group. The taller gentleman looked vaguely familiar but I couldn’t quite place him. As he stepped closer the recognizable features hit me with indescribable pain.

Wickham!!

What the hell was that blaggard doing here? Of all the places for that viper to slither into. It was obvious he had not seen me and I turned to hide my face.

“Mr. McCarty may I introduce you to Laurent, Eric, and James. They are all lieutenants in Col Black’s regiment.”

Thank heavens for Victoria's lack of social graces.

They stepped forward. James was within a foot of Isabella, and he leered down the front of her gown.

He was unchanged, and as much a cad as he ever was. I would not tolerate his behavior toward Isabella, it was simply not acceptable.

Leaving all rational thought behind me I nudged Blackjack forward, effectively coming between Isabella and James. I looked down at his confused expression. It seemed to take a moment for him to look up. His expression turned from surprise to one of annoyance at being cut off from his prey. He looked up at my expression, a smug smile on his face. Recognition dawned immediately, and the smile and color immediately drained from his face as he stared into the cold implacable expression I wore.

Yes that’s right Wickham, you should be afraid. I wager you did not expect to see me here. If the others were not here, nothing would stop me from running my steel blade through your unfeeling heart.

Deciding to flee, James made his apologies.

“Thank you for the invitation, Mr. McCarty, it was most kind.” With that said he retreated, along with his fellow officers.

Damn it! Would I never be free of that bastard, was he destined to haunt me at every turn? To crawl into my life and make it a living hell?

I moved past the group, unwilling to even look in their direction. I had no interest in betraying the emotions I knew were in plain sight, to Isabella. It would only serve to widen the already significant rift between us.

When I reached the outskirts of the town, Emmett had caught up to me.

“Edward, what happened back there?” He was confused and rightly so.

“I can’t talk about it right now, Emmett, I need to clear my head. I will meet you back at the house.”

“Ok Edward, please be careful.”

I pulled out the crop and kicked Blackjack into a gallop. I raced as far away from Wickham as I could get. He was like a sickness that infested all those he touched. I would not tolerate him tainting Isabella; she was innocent and pure, and would remain so.

I reached an opening in the trees and slowed to a stop. I looked up to the sky and cursed, why now? Why, when I find love do you give me the perfect woman? One that is my match in every way but one, therefore I can’t have her? And then to throw Wickham into the fray.

It was too much.

I lashed out at the closest tree with my crop, trying to release my frustration, but I only managed to snap the crop in half, yet my frustration remained. I would have to deal with him, although I knew I could do nothing public. He would be dealt with, I would not fail again. I needed advice, Jasper would know what to do and he would help me.

For all I knew, he would be here by morning to kill the bastard himself.

I turned and headed back to Netherfield determined, if I could I would rid this town of James Wickham.

0 comments:

Post a Comment